Re: insmod at boot

giovanni sartoni wrote:

> Hi everybody
>
> I just solved my troubles with my winmodem and got it working
> under linux. What it got is installing the linux driver:
>
> >insmod -f pctel_pci.o
>
> this is then de-installed when I shutdown and  I must repeat it
> every time I reboot.
> If I understand correctly a way to automate this is to put it
> in a script and install the script with
> >update-rc
>
> Is there any alternate way?

You could put it in /etc/modules...

> #############
>   Second, I created a node to the new modem device with
> >mknod /dev/pctel
>
> and made the /dev/pctel file writable to every user
> but the "a+rw" seems to disappear at every reboot,
> is it true? How to over come it?

Don't know if this is the right thing to do, but you could change ownership of
the dev file (chown root.modem /dev/pctel) and add you to the modem group
(addgroup your_username modem, this should be ritght sintax, for any problem try
man addgroup)...

Anyway, are you using an external modem plugged to a serial port?

Andrea