Re: Still having problems with the blankscreen

"Russell May" <rmay@acsbps.com> wrote:
>This occurs under the console (no X) as well as X.

setterm(1) only affects the console. Under X, see xset(1), probably
something like 'xset s off'.

>I have tired all the setterm commands listed in the man pages, but my
>monitor still blanks out after 10 minutes of nonuse. I have looked
>through the init.d stuff and haven't found anything. Any ideas,
>suggestions? Thanks.

If you're running potato, the setterm man page there was pretty useless,
although it's been improved in woody/sid. You probably want some
combination of these:

       -blank [0-60] (virtual consoles only)
              Sets  the interval of inactivity, in minutes, after
              which the  screen  will  be  automatically  blanked
              (using  APM  if  available).   Without an argument,
              defaults to 0 (disable console blanking).

       -powersave on|vsync
              Puts the monitor into VESA vsync suspend mode.

       -powersave hsync
              Puts the monitor into VESA hsync suspend mode.

       -powersave powerdown
              Puts the monitor into VESA powerdown mode.

       -powersave [off]
              Turns off monitor VESA powersaving features.

       -powerdown [0-60]
              Sets the VESA powerdown interval in minutes.  With­
              out an argument, defaults to 0 (disable powerdown).
              If the console is blanked or the monitor is in sus­
              pend mode, then the monitor will go into vsync sus­
              pend mode or powerdown mode respectively after this
              period of time has elapsed.

'setterm -blank 0' might well be enough.