Routing problems using metric

Hi,

I have some troubles with kernel routes on my Debian Linux
box (Ip @ 192.168.1.100).
This message migth not be a particular debian problem,
but I don't know other mailing list that could help me !

So, I've got two default gateway

Route Gateway Metric
default 192.168.1.254 0
default 192.168.1.253 1

My problem is that when my first gateway (i.e.
192.168.1.254) falls, the kernel routing table does not
switch to the second gateway (i.e. 192.168.1.253).
The system is stil asking arp request to resolve Ip @
192.168.1.254.

I've search in Howto (even in Linux Advanced routing Howto)
but did not find informations for my problem.
I've also look at the /proc/sys/net/* arguments in order to
find something that could activate route/metric switching.

It start getting on my nerves.
Could anybody help me please ... any help needed.

Thanks

Fabian
Boîte aux lettres - Caramail - http://www.caramail.com