X Window System - Mouse - Newbie Question

Hello all,
I'm trying to get my X Windows working and everything seems Okay except for
my mouse.
I've configured the XF86Config file.
I have a Microsoft Intellimouse with 3 buttons including the scroller.
I have the config file pointed to the default /dev/mouse.
The problem is when X Windows starts up I get no curser and the mouse
doesn't work.
I shut down X and than I see the following error.
Warning: /dev/mouse unable to get status of mouse fd (Input/output error)

Is this a common fix?
Thanks for any help.