Re: ip masquerade : which one?

Hi

	Yes, both ipchain and ipmasq about roughly the same things but I
think ipchain is a newer with more features and mainly for 2.2 kernel. (I
think ipmasq for 2.0 kernel, but I am not sure). For 2.4 kernel, iptable is
the recommended one.  All these tools do packet filtering AFAIK. This
packet filtering function is used in masquerading.

Firewalling and Masquerading are similar things but not the same thing. A
firewall is a computer that prevent direct connection between the outside
world and the inside world. Masquenerading computer is a computer that make
the outgoing traffic (from within the lan) looks like it was generated from
the masquerading computer. Hence, no one knows if there is any computer
behind the masqueranding computer.

Hope that helps

Edwin Lau