Re: soundcard volume too low.

also sprach Rick Commo (on Sun, 15 Apr 2001 06:42:03PM -0700):
> I went from a SB PCI 16 to an SB PCI 128 with the same effect.  It turns out
> that the SB 61 (and presumably your old junker) can drive an 8-ohm load to a
> decent volume.  The SB PCI 128 only has a line out (ie 600 ohms).  I went
> out and bought a set of Altec Lansing ACS21W speakers for $19.  They have an
> input impedance of 10K ohms so the SB PCI 128 drives them just fine.

well, i don't have any money to spend on this. so i guess active
speakers are the solution. manually changing the speakers' impedance
just won't do... oh well.

anyway, i was misinformed, it's actually an SB 64 PCI equivalent,
CT5807 chipset as in Dell OEM. three external jacks. now, dell doesn't
provide any information, and the creative page at
  http://soundblaster.com/products/sb64/specs.asp

says
  line in: yes
  line out (front)/speaker out: yes
  line out (rear): yes (amplified out)
  auxiliary in: yes (rear out).

wow. (a) there is no front. (b) there is one of those front panel
audio connectors. might have to try that. (c) what do you mean -
auxiliary in - rear out? the line in is an amplified line out? huh?

and if the front line out is a speaker out and the rear line out is
amplified, i think creative is lying.

any clues from you guys?

fashions have done more harm than revolutions.
                                                        -- victor hugo