Re: Hepl! I messed up! PostgreSQL 7.1 RC1 pacakges

Hi Again Stan,

	Sorry your having so much trouble. I'm not certain how to cure the dselect
wanting to uninstall 208 packages. Maybe   dpkg --clear-avail   command?
	May I suggest using a script I made to save your currently installed package
state/list to a floppy. Then if you need to go back to that package state on
that system, or if you want another system to have to exact same packages on
it as the source system, it'll do that too. It's at
http://freshmeat.net/projects/clone-debian/. Even though I managed to make
that script, I'm still learning some dpkg/dselect stuff myself. So sorry that
I'm not certain how to clear up the dselect problem.
	Just to re-iterate, I suggest downloading the postgresql package that you
previously had installed, and do one of the dpkg commands listed below. If
you want a newer version of postgresql, may I suggest getting the PostgreSQL
7.1 that I saw posted just a couple days ago at http://freshmeat.net/. It is
the final version of 7.1 and not 'RC1'(Release Candidate 1) and compile and
install it youself. That way it should work, or at least you get to see an
error while trying to ./configure and/or compile it.
	Sorry I can't be of more help. I'll bet someone can come up with a solution
to the 'dselect' problem though. You might try IRC on irc.openprojects.net in
the channel #debian if not.

Good Luck,

Jimmy Richards