startx - Fatal server error

Hi all,

I am sure this is an old one too.  But I just installed Debian (potato)
r2.
I issue startx at the commnand line and get

fatal sever error
Can't open mouse (no such file or directory )

I have run xf86config 4 times now and each time I select 4, the PS/2
mouse,
the 3 button emulation, and hit enter when for the default /dev/mouse.

I looked in the file /etc/X11/xf86config

and it shows under Pointing device
Protocol "PS/2"
Device  "/dev/mouse"

Any suggestions?

PS.  Thanks for all the suggestions on partitioning my hard drive.
I did  the "Self" method.  I can see that is
a little like one's religion.  I think I learned a lot reading all the
suggestions and suggested reading.