thinkpad 600, xfree 4

so, i just got my little tp600.  seems sweet so far. nice size.  great
looking screen.

but, i'm encountering a huge problem.  i installed xfree86 4.02, and ran
through xf86config.

so, i can start with XFree86.  everything worked as expected.  so, i
installed blackbox.   and changed my .xinitrc file.   so, i startx.  and
the fonts look all weird.  they don't quite fit into where they belong...
 which seems really weird to me.  but, i figure i can fix it.

so, i right click to get a menu.  everything locks.  hard machine lock.
i can't get to another tty, and i can't kill x.  it doesn't even finish
drawning the menu.  this same weird occurance happens in icewm as well.
as soon as i do ANYTHING it just hard locks.

one thing i notice if i kill x (doing XFree86 to start it).  i see...

(II) NEOMAGIC(0): Not programming shadow registers

does anyone have any suggestions?  i've never had x cause a hard lock on
my machines before. so this just baffles me.

--
Forrest English
http://truffula.net

"When we have nothing left to give