Re: How to partition hard drive?

on Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 11:55:10AM -0400, Daniel Freedman (freedman@ccmr.cornell.edu) wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 13, 2001, George M. Butler wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I know this is a real newbie question.  I am in the process of
> > installing Debian Potato r2 on a
> > brand new machine I just built.  It has a factory clean 30G IDE hard
> > drive and AMD K6-2/500.  I put the Debian CD in the CDRom and booted.
> > I have selected the US qwerty keyboard.  Now I am ready to partition the
> > hard drive.  I would like some suggestions as to how to best partition
> > the drive.  I want this to be a Debian only machine  and I would also
> > like to have one partition to do the Linux From Scratch project at a
> > later date.
> > I would like to hear suggestions you might have or experieces.  Thanks
> > for  your help.
>
> George,
>
> Hi.  You'd probably get the following link suggested to you by its
> author (Karsten) pretty soon, but just in case you're in a rush to
> read up, a very well-written guide to partitioning Debian is the
> following:
>
> http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/partition.html

Mentioned here not once, but twice, already.  Thanks, guys.

I've just updated this document to reflect:

  - My new desktop partitioning -- or how to live comfortable on a
    2.4GB  + 2*2GB disk system.  Slightly saner than the previous
    configuration.

  - Laptop partitioning:  single disk 20GB.

  - Additional descriptive background, recommendations for partitions
    and use.

  - Copies of /etc/fstab for each of the two systems illustrated.

Cheers.