Re: How to partition hard drive?

On 13 Apr 2001 10:46:35 -0500, George M. Butler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I know this is a real newbie question.  I am in the process of
> installing Debian Potato r2 on a
> brand new machine I just built.  It has a factory clean 30G IDE hard
> drive and AMD K6-2/500.  I put the Debian CD in the CDRom and booted.
> I have selected the US qwerty keyboard.  Now I am ready to partition the
> hard drive.  I would like some suggestions as to how to best partition
> the drive.  I want this to be a Debian only machine  and I would also
> like to have one partition to do the Linux From Scratch project at a
> later date.
> I would like to hear suggestions you might have or experieces.  Thanks
> for  your help.
>
> George

My advice is :

hda1 swap (Will be shared by debian/LFScratch)         (2*amount of RAM)
hda2 / (for the first Linux distribution (debian))               2000Mo
hda3 Let it free for the Linux from scratch                      2000Mo
hda4 /home (Will be shared by debian/LFScratch)       All you have after

Francois