Debian 2.2 won't boot up

I cannot get Debian 2.2 to boot up. I tried the following 2 methods, to no avail:

ATTEMPT #1:
After downloading the CD from the Debian site, I burned a CD for Disk #1 and placed that in the CD drive. I booted the computer, and after going through all the install screens, Debian said that it couldn't find the path to my archives. I double-checked the path to the "rescue.bin" file, and it was entered correctly. I could not get past these screens. Two other people here at work tried it, too, with no success.

ATTEMPT #2:
I issued the following commands in an attempt to make a Rescue Diskette and a Root Diskette.

mount /mnt/floppy
cd /mnt/cdrom/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/2.2.20.0.1-2000-12-03/images-1.44
dd if=rescue.bin of=/dev/fd0 bs=1024
I issued the following command to make sure that the file copied correctly:

cmp /dev/fd0 rescue.bin

I tried to boot from this floppy, but the computerjust sat there, with a blank screen and a prompt, doing nothing. No lights were blinking, indicating no activity on the hard drive or the diskette drive.
   The BIOS is set to boot in the following order:
   1) diskette
   2) CD-ROM
   3) Hard drive

   What can I do to get Debian to boot on my system?

Len Cheatham