kmod errors on boot (kernel 2.4.3)

I just compiled a 2.4.3 kernel on my Debian testing laptop.  During the boot
process, I get the following error:

kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt -464c, errno = 8

This message keeps going and doesn't stop until I hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and
reboot using a different kernel.

Does anyone know what this means, and how I can fix it in my kernel config?

Thanks,
Bryan

--
Bryan K. Walton                        Network Operations Center Analyst
Berbee...putting the E in business	          http://www.berbee.com/