From: Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier [mailto:jbrockmeier@earthlink.net]
Sent: donderdag 12 april 2001 19:08
To: tom@tomd.org
Cc: John Hasler; debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Should arrogant, self-important people be encouraged to use
Linux?

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 tom@tomd.org wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 11:34:04AM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> > Tom writes:
> > > ...bad name...arrogant...self-important...blowhard...
> > > ...being an ass...bloated sense of importance...an ass...
> > > ...a lousy personality...
> > > Now, execute those four simple keystrokes and add me to your killfile.
> >
> > Ok.  >plonk<
>
> Ok, so let me get this straight.  Calling people "dumb lazy idiots" for
> wanting decent documentation is OK, but calling people on being arrogant
is
> not.  Makes sense to me...  Thanks for helping to prove my point regarding
> why the stereotype of the stuck-up Linux user persists.

So...arrogant newbie whiners should be tolerated?

Let's face it, the thing that pissed most people off about the user
who stared this thread wasn't that he mentioned that Linux documentation
needs help for new users - I think we'd all agree that's true to
some extent. (We'd quibble on the degree, but no one here is arguing
it's perfect.)

The thing that got people like Karsten riled is the fact that this
guy expected everyone else to provide him with wonderful documentation,
on top of excellent software (something many are already trying to
do), but in the same breath told everyone that he had no intention
of actually helping with the same. Basically, suggesting that we should
all be grateful to accept parasites into the Linux Community who
are unwilling to contribute, but will suck up everything that the
community gives - and complain if it's not to his taste.

The fact is, most people coding Free Software do it to satisfy a need
that they have - and then they give it away to help others do the
same. They coded it, so they really don't benefit from writing the
documentation much - they already know it. Also many, but not all,
good programmers are not very good at documentation. Most of them
do try - and I'm sure it grates on them when someone comes along
and says "Hey, what you've given me already isn't good enough -
I need handholding! I refuse to search for documentation. I refuse
to contribute any if I figure it out myself! You'd better improve
this or I'll quit using it!"

I don't know Karsten, but I have a feeling that I'd like him if
I met him.

Take care,

Zonker
--