X starts with no Window scheme!

Hi,
Can anyone suggest how to solve this problem:
Installed Deb 2.2.r2, X4 , NVidia kernel (I have a Geforce IImx). When I
boot up, I get a grey screen and plain login box. I login and I still have a
grey screen and no window scheme just a white term box which is unmovable.
if I type 'wmaker', It starts up fine. My system seems to use the 'xdm'
window manager as it appears in the start up messages.Doing a 'ps -ax' shows
it running /etc/bin/xdm.
I have created a file '.xsession' and made it executable and put it in my
home directory but this hasnt fixed it. Previously I created a similiar file
called 'xinitrc' but was told this is read by 'xinit' not 'xdm'.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards
Wayne.
'Don't be suprised if you are playing in Root and the Tree falls off...'