bootdisk - via-rhine pb's

Hi

After the third card with rtl8139 went silent I changed to a via-rhine one. I
could not make my debian2.2r2 see it so I opted for a new install.

According to kernel-config on idepci bootdisks the driver should be compiled
into the loaded kernel.

>From dmesg on an installation that only reached the local base2_2.tgz:

3c59x.c 16Aug00 Donald Becker and others
http://www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
via-rhine.c:v1.01 2/27/99  Written by Donald Becker
  http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/via-rhine.html

To me this means that the card is correctly identified. From the
Ethernet-HOWTO I gathered that I could use 'ether=' as boot parameters to
this compiled in driver. I have an installation of Mandrake8.0-Cooker and
from that I got irq=10 and io= d000 - d0ff.

I thus booted with 'linux ether=10,0xd000,eth0' and got no better.

What am I doing wrong?

regards
guran