Re: user masquerading with qmail

Quoth Florian Reiser,
> where do I have to put MAILHOST and MAILUSER to get user masquerading with
> qmail working? In the FAQ they say you should put them in your environment. So
> I've put them in the .bashrc of the user, but the user wasn't masqueraded.
> So what is the correct place for these variables?

It depends a little on what you're doing. Calling mutt in an Eterm, for
example (like I do), didn't set it, so I just created a little wrapper
script:

#!/bin/sh
QMAILUSER="blah"
QMAILHOST="blah.com"
http_proxy="http://proxy:8080/";

export QMAILUSER QMAILHOST http_proxy

/usr/bin/mutt

which seems to work well. Another alternative is putting them in your
.xinitrc (I do this for my http_proxy environment variable so that the
screensaver which downloads and displays random images uses the proxy
server).

If worst came to worst, I guess you could call your mail program as:

env QMAILUSER=blah QMAILHOST=blah.com mailprog

I guess that'd work.

HTH,

damon

--
Damon Muller              | Did a large procession wave their torches
Criminologist/Linux Geek  | As my head fell in the basket,