Re: HELP - CS423x sound config and Debian Potato...

Hello All Again,

I managed to get the sound up and running. Just in case other people are reading
this, I thought I'd just share what I did (if you know this already, please
SKIP!!! ;-) :

1. downloaded kernel source for the kernel I was running
2. downloaded kernel HEADERS (had to, because version.h exists in that package,
not the first one. ALSA compile needs that)
3. downloaded LATEST ALSA drivers (0.5.10)
4. followed instructions to ./configure
5. make install
6. make sure the kernel sound support is loaded, along with soundcore (though I
have a feeling it would not have been neccessary)
6. run alsaconf
7. selected my card : CS4236B (found out after further hunting on the net)
8. filled in options as given by Win98 Device Manager AND www.alsa-project.org
FAQs (VERY HELPFUL!)
9. listen to alsa play a test file
10. run xmms and hey presto!

However, I am still uncertain which version of gnome I am using, but the with
the gnome sound server, all sound disappears. But I will leave that for another
day. I am currently disabling all sounds in gnome by disabling its sound server.

freeamp also does not run properly for some reason, but I assume this is also
another program-specific configuration problem, not OS driver related.

I got my mp3's playin' and I'm happy.

Also, alsa-utils did not compile cleanly because it needed ncurses.h from
libncurses4/5-dev. However, I still did not manage to succesfully get it
compiled yet. I assume that since I have sound this package of programs aren't
so critical to getting sound up and running.

Thanks again for the info below. I think it showed me that ALSA was the better
way to go.

Best regards
Carl Tan.

================================

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 08:35:42AM +0800, carl.tan@delphiauto.com wrote:
> Any help here to get it started (either ALSA or sndconfig or modprobe.... I'm
> not fussy :-) would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I tried google and read many suggestions (all of them reflected by my attempts
> above), but to no avail.
>
> Could some kind soul please help me? I have looked through debian-user's
> archives till Aug. 2000 but nothing on this was ever mentioned.

Ok, lets see... If you have make-kpkg, gcc and friends installed,
install alsa-source, cd /usr/src ; tar -zxvf alsa-driver.tar.gz ;
cd modules/alsa-driver ; ./configure --with-cards=cs4232 ;
cd /usr/src/linux ;
env MODULES_LOC=/usr/src/modules make-kpkg modules_image ;
cd .. ; dpkg -i alsa-modules-*

Then do /etc/init.d/alsa start.

Dima
--