Re: install disk boot problem

Please keep list mail on list.  Reply redirected to list.

on Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 09:33:56PM -0700, Jack Moffitt (jack@icecast.org) wrote:
> > Bad floppies are legion in Debian installs.  Try another.  And another.
> > And another.  If you can't get it right in six to ten, consider another
> > route.  I've had a few problems, never needed to toss more than three
> > disks myself.
>
> I've installed linux many times, and so am pretty familiar with bad
> floppies.  This doesn't seem to be the case here, it seems like debian
> can't see my usb floppy drive at all.
>
> The bios knows to boot from it, but apparently debian itself can't see
> it.  I see
>
> floppy drive fd0 is 1.44M
> floppy0: no controller

Could well be.  I don't go through installs _too_ often, haven't had to
deal with USB.  I'm guessing there's no support, would probably take the
tack of finding out how to modify BFs to add USB support.

> in the bootup messages a few lines up from where it asks for the root
> disk.
>
> > Worst comes to worst, boot something like Tom's Root/Boot, and do a
> > null-cable (SLIP, PLIP, or ethernet) transfer of the base system from
> > another system.  If that doesn't work, swap the drive to another system.
>
> Is there a url for this?

Nothing I know of off the top of my head.  I'm thinking of adding the
base utilities required to run installations from my laptop, will be
researching this in the future.