Re: gtcd/sound problems

jdls@apu.edu wrote:

> Hello,
>
> When trying to play gtcd I get "error playing cd"...but it's an audio cd (an introduction to classical music)..what is wrong here?
>
> Also, when I try to play login.wav (gnome's file) no sound is coming out...I have unmuted the mixer via gamix, mixer and pcm oss drivers are loaded together with the soundcard..speaker is connected properly...what else could I have missed?

The easiest case is this is a permissions problem on the device.

1. Get a terminal and login in as root.

2. Run gtcd at the command line and if it works then it is a permission
problem. If not your sound modules are not working.

3. To add permissions to normal devices you may want to use as your
normal login, use the following command which adds the user to each of
the following groups.
adduser <user> dialout
 - repeat for -
floppy
tty
cdrom
disk
audio
video

This will also allow you to get start up sounds etc.

Hope this helps,
Eric :-)