Re: water, water everywhere, but not a drop to drink.

> >PS - People take all their accumulated windows knowledge for
> granted.  Years and years and years of it, and then expect that
> they can learn a new OS over night.  Simply rediculous.<

This is absolutly true.. I personally have found a lot of computer newbies
really lost with their brand new windoze boxes..

GNU/Linux at the long term is far easier than windows... you have much
more resources and your skills are not wasted by "new great versions" in
fact the Linux progress is much more about performance and bug-catching
than changing the interface itself... (which always follows very stable
standards.. posix, SVr4, etc)..

But if you get use to install using wizards and telling ok to all then it
is normal feeling quite lost..

The fact is that when people ask for "friendly desktops" they usually mean
"there is a lot of time since I am using windoze and I expect to find just
that windoze".

Surely linux is not for every user.. at least not to install/configure or
maintain.. but I know some pretty examples about some networks installed
using remote booting maintained by a sysadmin.. the users only have to
know very little about KDE or GNOME/Enlightment they dont need to be root
and they are quite happy.. you only need a sysadmin to maintain the whole
network, to add a new workstation/desktop is a matter of seconds..

Maybe this is the way to go..

Regards

Roberto

Roberto Diaz <rdiazmartin@vivaldi.dhis.org>