NIC problem

I have an old 386 on which I am trying to do an FTP install of potato.
The NIC inside is a Western Digital and seems to be functioning all right
(I got linux going from one of those floppy distributions, set everything
up and was able to ping everywhere and log in to a computer at work.  So
the NIC and cabling are working all right.)

When I boot off of the rescue/root/driver-1.bin files, everything goes all
right until it tries to do a modprobe on the wd.o module.  The default for
that module is right as I checked it doing a ftp install using RedHat and
the NIC worked.  But, under Debian it keeps coming up device is not
working and it might be an IO/IRQ problem.

Any ideas on what I can try?  The NIC does work.  The IO/IRQ etc "should"
be right, but that boot version of linux just does not want to modprobe.

Thanks,

Craig.