Re: Need a way to install driver / packages

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001, Gavin Hamill wrote:
> > Hi.  I responded to your message above about the 3c905c.  You seem to
> > be taking my word that you can't get the driver for this card.
>
> That's daft :) We use nothing but 3c905c's at work....
>
> The module you need is '3c59x' and is part of the standard distribution  -
> yeh I know it's not terribly logical.. but hey who said Linux was ever
> logical? ;)

Hi,

Huh...  This is weird.  I'm well aware of the 3c59x <-> 3c905[abc]
mapping, but I'm surprised that people were able to get that driver to
work with the 'c' version of the card.  I was only able to make it
work with 'a' and 'b' versions.

<pause>

But, now, after a google search, i find Donald Becker's page listing
support for the 3c905c under the 3c59x driver:

http://www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html

There is, however, something weird in the wind, as 3com maintains a
separate driver '3c90x' (GPL'd) for a subset of the cards (only 3c905B
and 3c905C) that Donald's driver handles:

http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/linux.htm

So, it looks like my initial word shouldn't have been trusted after
all :).  I'd try to make the standard 3c59x driver work, Adam.

Take care and hope this helps,

Daniel