Re: update apt about installed X

Gil Elad <gilelad@netvision.net.il> writes:
GE> I downloaded and installed XFree86 4.0.2 on my Potato box from
GE> www.xfree86.org, NOT via apt-get. How do I update apt so it won't
GE> shout about dependency problems because I supposedly don't have X,
GE> when I try to download other packages?

I assume you're doing this because you want/need the hardware support
in the XFree86 4.0.x server, not because you particularly care about
the updates to the X libraries.  In this case, the easiest thing to do
is to just download and install the binary file for the XFree86 server
(e.g. into /usr/local/bin/XFree86), configure it using some tool, and
then change the first line of /etc/X11/Xserver to point to this
server.  You'd leave all of the XFree86 3.3.6 packages installed
(possibly including something like the VGA16 server), and use the
normal client libraries, which work just fine.

	-- Abra Mitchell