Via + kernel 2.4.3 + maxtor = crash?

Hi everyone,

	this is strictly speaking not a debian problem. I am using maxtor
9000 series harddisk with asus P3V4X via mother board using kernel 2.4.3.

	I don't know what's really happening, but linux gives me an error
message saying the harddisk is busy and not ready for command. and it keeps
on saying that. system sort of freeze. the bios didn't recognize the
harddisk (and the cdrom? don't know) after a warm boot. only cold boot make
the bios recognize it again. the error usually happens when I was doing
dselect upgrade.

	I am now sure if it has to do with bug about via in the kernel or
it is about the 4 years old maxtor drive or some loose cable? is there a
way I could debug the problem, can anyone help me... please

Edwin Lau

Edwin Lau (lauedw@waves.utoronto.ca)