Re: getting /bin files for debian unstable x86

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 05:16:25PM -0400, Cyanide Morgoth Calcuterm wrote:
> >===== Original Message From "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> =====
> >on Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 04:28:45PM -0400, Cyanide Morgoth Calcuterm

> >> $400 USD cost more than my computer cost
> >
> >Completely irrelevant.
> >

> I wish I could say that. I'm a student I don't have extra cash.

Me, too.  Here is another option: find another computer (perhaps a
friend's) with some free space on it and put the drive from the borked
system in it.  Then boot that machine with a rescue disk.  You can
mount the borked disk and the disks with extra space, back up the
first to the second as described, reinstall, and restore.

If you stick $5 a week in a book somewhere, you could have a CD-RW by
Christmas.  It's worth it, just so you don't have to go through this
PITA again.

> And I will do just that when I have a computer that dosn't cost less than the
> drive.

I recently bought a monitor stand for my computer, which is a few
years old, to save desk space.  Later I had a friend tell me that he
had sold his old computer, the same model as mine, for the same price
I paid for my monitor stand.  I'll not take the thing back, though.

If you get a nice DAT drive, you can transfer it to your shiny new
machine when you get one.  An old computer doesn't have to have all
old parts.

I hope that helps.  If you have trouble finding another machine, offer
a six-pack of beer.

Rob

--
If you don't care where you are, then you ain't lost.