Re: After potato install, why does 1st dselect install so much?

Robert Cymbala wrote:
> I don't get it.  Why does dselect "want" to install so much, whereas
> the operating-system install (from Rescue Disk boot to the "Have Fun!"
> message) did not?

Dselect installs all standard priority packages by default. The task
system does not (in the version of debian you use; this was an
oversight, and it does/will in all later versions).

> If so, is there a design reason why it's meant to be that way, or did
> it evolve (in the negative sense of "evolve"), sort of like some
> packages use "Debian Configuration" and others don't?

That is not an evolution, that is the fact that potato shipped with us
50% through the transition to debconf (and woody will probably ship with
us 90% through).

--
see shy jo