Re: Default Window Manager

On Sun, Apr 08, 2001, Aaron wrote:
> Why shouldn't I be starting X from root? I'll go and add .xinitrc to my
> users home directory and see what happens.

Aaron,

Anything that runs as root has root level permissions, with the
associated ability to do essentially anything to your system.  Most
people try very hard to absolutely limit the number of programs run as
root.  X is a _very_ large program, with I'm sure (even consideering
its fine pedigree coming out of MIT's Project Athena) a fair amount of
bugs, buffer overflows, etc.; not the type of things you would want to
have root privileges.

You might find it helpful to read up a little more on some gentle
intros to linux/unix that might help answer some of these questions
(see linuxdoc.org, Michael Kofler's Linux Intro book published by
Addison Wesley, etc.).

Otherwise, hope the above helps and take care,

Daniel