From: D-Man [mailto:dsh8290@rit.edu]
Sent: Sunday, April 08, 2001 6:38 PM
To: Debian-List
Subject: Re: Default Window Manager

On Sun, Apr 08, 2001 at 06:53:23PM -0700, Aaron wrote:
| X is currently being started by xdm I believe.
| The system start twm as the current default WM and I am not getting any
| error messages just not the WM I want.
| I didn't have any .xinitrc files on the system so after reading the other
| message I created one even though it didn't seem to do anything. Currently
| my .xinitrc file simply says 'echo gnome-session'.

echo-ing gnome-session won't do much good.  It's almost, but not quite
what you need.  The command in the directions was

$ echo gnome-session >> ~/.xinitrc

the result would have

gnome-session

in your .xinitrc file.  Try removing the 'echo' from the command.
Also have .xinitrc executable (as someone else already said).  You
could also try having 'exec gnome-session' in your .xinitrc instead.

I would also recommend switching to 'gdm' instead of 'xdm' as gdm is
more gnome friendly.  I say that because the GNOME people made gdm and
it uses gtk like the rest of gnome.

HTH,
-D