keyboard layout on the console

Robert Voigt writes:
 > I updated a lot of packages from stable to unstable and now my keyboard
 > layout on the console is set to US. I want German. I already installed the
 > package from unstable that is supposed to set the keyboard layout (I forgot
 > the name) and configured it, but I still have US keyboard layout. What can I
 > do?

Don't know whether this is the right way to go, but it works: Copy one
of the German keymaps from /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwertz (I use
de-latin1.kmap.gz) to /etc/kbd, rename it to default.kmap.gz, reboot
(if you like it the Microsoft way) or better run
"/etc/init.d/keyboard.sh start" and that's it.

Andreas