Re: char-major-10-135

Ethan posts:

> yes, hwclock uses /dev/rtc, well at least on powerpc
> it does, without a working /dev/rtc it fails.

You may be right with a PowerPC but your reasoning  will
not work on an x86 machine.   Can we say that the original
poster did not give us architecture details ? ;-)

> checking it now it seems to fall back to some other
> method (at least for --show) on x86.

It is.  Please do read the util-linux docs at
/usr/share/doc/util-linux/README.Debian.hwclock.gz.
You need not have the module 'rtc' at all. So switch it
off and update your modules.conf

--
ragOO, VU2RGU
Keeping the  Air-Waves FREE...........Amateur Radio