upgrading kernel 2.1

I have had Debian 2.1 installed and running in text mode for about a year
now. I have not played with it much as I prefer to have a working X
server, hence I have used and maintained several Mandrake systems, which I
am sick of.

I am stuck in text mode in Debian with a dial up connection as I live
way out in the woods where this is all that there is available and so all
I have to work with. Is there any hope for me upgrading my Debian system?

Mandrake is so proprietary that it reminds me of Microsoft, if a package
does not say "-mdk.rpm" it will most often not install on my systems and
that is only the beginning of the problems that I have with their systems.

As an example, I have attempted to compile a 2.4 kernel downloaded from
kernel.org on about 25 separate occasions, and all to no avail, always
failing with absolutely meaningless errors. All of which I have corrected
one by one, but of course they were not even really failures at all in the
first place, the reality is that their systems puke on anything that does
not say " -mdk.rpm", so am I stuck, unless I spend another couple of
hundred bucks on operating systems?

I do not want to even order cheap bytes cd's if there is a way that I can
solve these problems on my own. I have a copy of kernel 2.4 downloaded
from kernel.org, is there a way that I can get it to compile under
Debian kernel 2.1, as I have not bothered to even try after my Mandrake
experiences?

Mandrake is a fine system, please do not get me wrong, but I would prefer
and I think I always would have to switch and convert to Debian and put
this trauma behind me.

Sincere Thanks and Regards,

mrweb