Re: HP's InkJet drivers on Debian -- success?

* Chris Howells <chlist@gmx.co.uk> [010406 23:20]:
> I am interested in knowing whether anybody has successfully managed to use
> HPs InkJet drivers on Debian -- currently they are only available as
> binaries for RedHat (SuSE and Mandrake coming soon).
>
> Unfortunately my attempts to compile the drivers in failed, due to the fact
> that printing with the new version of GhostScript generated loads of errors.
>
> I did receive this response when asking HP about support for Debian:
>
> > We are working with the distributions to produce more binaries.  You may
> > want to put in your request with Debian as well.  Mandrake already has
> > incorporated binaries into their 8.0 beta distribution.  You may want to
> > post to the forum to see if anyone else has successfully compiled for
> > Debian.  I will also forward your request on to our developer.
>
> However I'm not sure whether the drivers could be incorporated into Debian
> at the moment due to the license (basically a BSD style license with a "HP
> only" clause) -- although I think I did hear they were planning to GPL them
> eventually.
>
> See http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/license.php for the exact license.
>
> Comments?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Chris Howells
> E-Mail: chris.h@gmx.co.uk
> ICQ: 93699029
> Web: http://www.chowells.uklinux.net

My current config is to print to a windows printer, with smbprint and lprng
and ghostscript and magicfilter. The printer is a HP880C Deskjet
Printer.

/etc/printcap:
lp|HP Deskjet 880C:\
:lp=/dev/null:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp_low:\
:sh:pw#80:pl#72:px#1440:mx#0:\
:if=/etc/magicfilter/dj690c-low-filter_REMOTE:\
:af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:

magicfilter didn't had a filter for hp880, so i edited
/etc/magicfilter/dj690c-low-filter to change the line with ghostscript
interpreter, so it will not use dj690 drivers but cd880.

/etc/magicfilter/dj690c-low-filter_REMOTE:
#!/bin/sh
/etc/magicfilter/dj690c-low-filter | /usr/local/bin/smbprint $*

/etc/magicfilter/dj690-low-filter:
*not whole file, just the edited lines*
# PostScript
0       %!              filter  /usr/bin/gs  -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=cdj880 -sColourMode=CMYK -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -dQuality=1 -sOutputFile=- - -c quit
0       \004%!          filter  /usr/bin/gs  -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=cdj880 -sColourMode=CMYK -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -dQuality=1 -sOutputFile=- - -c quit
# PDF
0       %PDF            fpipe   /usr/bin/gs  -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=cdj880 -sColourMode=CMYK -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -dQuality=1 -sOutputFile=- $FILE -c quit

You can find the smbprint on internet, probably at a HOWTO...

the tricky part was to compile ghostscript...
I found some drivers for hp880 here: http://www.gelhaus.net/hp880c/
I downloaded the debian source packages of ghostscript 5.50 and with the
instructions on the site I hacked through the configurationscripts of
debian/rules. 2 hours has passed to compile the b*tch. It gave so much
errors... I have the binaries of the compiled ghostscript 5.50 with
cd880 drivers packaged in debian-format. If you like to have it, mail me
back.

Well, that's it
Good luck!

CBL