Re: matlab - scilab

Octave is a Matlab-like numerical package which is distributed under GNU
General Public License rules. For matrix and linear algebra
computations it is ideal.

Mathematica is mainly a symbolic algebra tool and is not free.
I have not used it myself.

Octave does not have a symbolic algebra component, so in that
sense you can't compare it to Mathematica.

--
Professor Timothy J. Ford          |
Department of Mathematics          | "Don't worry, Skipper,