the problem is the Debian machine's shares security is setup as USER. The machine trying to browse the Linux machine must have a user with a password that is the same as a user and password on the Linux machine. Check the smb.conf man file. You could also load the swat package to easily change the smb.conf file.

HTH

Bill

Original Message dated 06/04/2001, 1:17:12 PM

Author: Elfert <elfert@telus.net>

Re: windows password:

hello all,

Our windows 98 OS2 machine sees our Progeny/Debian machine nicely but insists on a password to browse and refuses any offered.  We have pored over the smb.conf  line by line for hours and cannot figure out what's wrong.

Any suggestions please?

We greatly appreciate this help and try not to use it unless we're completely stumped.

Thanks,

Hans & Galen Elfert