Re: making gcc work

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 11:16:34AM +1000, John Griffiths wrote:
| i've been forced to compile a program i want to use (ices to stream to icecast, shout isn't cutting for low-bitrate mp3's)
|
| I've apt-get insalled gcc and automake (along with the dependencies)
|
| but I still get this error message when i try to run ./configure :
|
| configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.

Can you put the following into a file?

---------------------------------------
#include <stdio.h>

int
main( )
{
    puts( "Hello World" ) ;
    return 0 ;
}

Call the file 'hello.c' or something.  Then run :

$ gcc hello.c -o hello
$ ./hello

You should see "Hello World" printed on the screen.  If you get any
error mesages, paste them to the list and attach a copy of the C file
(just to make sure there wasn't a typo).

HTH,
-D