Re: networking - slip attachments

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 12:52:42PM -0300, Ted Gervais wrote:

> Hello All..
> I have another question on networking and this time it has to do with
> installing a slip link using 'slattach'.
>
> I can sit on a command line and type:
>
> 'slattach -s 38400 -p slip /dev/ptypf &
> ifconfig sl0 44.135.34.209 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 44.135.34.255
> route add -net 44.135.34.210 netmask 255.255.255.255 sl0'
>
> ..and it installs my slip link. What I need to know is how is this installed
> in Debian the way Debian wants it installed. In other words, is there an
> automated way of doing this. If not,  then what file to I add this
> information to so that it will be found, and 'run' everything time I reboot
> the system??
>
> I was thinking of simply addding it to my /etc/network/interfaces file
> (manually) but not sure that is what and where is goes. Is there a command to
> type in that brings up a program that allows this information to be entered??

It looks like you are probably trying to set up JNOS or TNOS.  What I did
when I ran JNOS was to create a new script in /etc/init.d and put these
commands there.  You could use /etc/init.d/skeleton as a template, but
that may not be necessary.  Then run 'update-rc.d <filename> defaults'.
This will add symbolic links in /etc/rc*.d which will cause the
commands to be executed (normally when runlevel 2 is entered).  See
'man update-rc.d' for more details.

Bob

--
Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          nielsen@oz.net