Re: First boot sector doesn't have a valid LILO signature

on Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 10:26:31AM -0000, Ari Sigurðsson (ari@solver.is) wrote:
> computer won't boot after some hard disk failure, I can mount and see
> files and I'm booting with disk and trying to run lilo again but I
> get, First boot sector doesn't have a valid LILO signature

It's not clear what your problem is, how you're mounting files if you
can't boot, and what commands you're running.  Give us detail.

Specifically:

  - Your partition table.  Run:

      $ fdisk -l <physical disk>

    where <physical disk> is one or more of /dev/hda, /dev/hdb,
    /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, etc., as appropriate.

  - Your /etc/lilo.conf file

  - How are you booting your system and mounting disks?

  - Have you re-run lilo?

Is this the same disk that was damaged?  Have you run any diagnostics
(fsck, badblocks) on it to see if it's now OK?  My own MO is to
immediately replace any and all suspect media.