Re: fetchmail Hangs on First and Only 1st Try

On Wed, 04 Apr 2001, John Bacalle wrote:
> RE: fetchmail 5.3.3 ; InterMail vM.4.01.03.16 ; AT&T Worldnet
>
> I have an odd problem fetching mail on the _first try_, and fetchmail
> hanging at the sign-off stage of the process.

Try disabling all sort of "auto" detection and telling fetchmail exactly
what kind of server you have. If this fixes the issue, please report back.
fetchmailconf may help you in the configuration.

It should reduce the startup time in the worst case...

> I have to ^C when it hangs (indefinitely, up to 90 minutes at least) and
> from then on fetchmail gives no more further problems. I run it from a
> cron job.

Looks like a TCP connection getting stuck to me. Hmm...

> It stopped ofering IMAP (albeit testing), and since then 'proto auto' in
> my .fetchmailrc yields a 3 minute hang when fetchin mail. I mentioned my
> observations and my problem to my provider, but they do not see any
> correlation.
>
> Doing, '$ fetchmail -vv' shows:
>
> > fetchmail: SMTP< 250 OK id=14gJTW-00023x-00
> >  flushed
> > fetchmail: POP3> DELE 118
> > fetchmail: POP3< +OK
> > fetchmail: POP3> QUIT
> > fetchmail: POP3< +OK foo InterMail POP3 server signing off.
>
> At this stage it hangs indefinitely.

When that happens, could you try a netstat --inet and check what state is
the connection to the pop3 server? Fetchmail will hang until that connection
finishes closing AFAIK.  Now ^C fetchmail, and verify what happens to that
connection.

Please CC: me with the reply.

  Henrique Holschuh