Re: vim & tab & space

Once upon a time, I heard Eric G. Miller say

> On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 09:37:58PM +1000, Chanop Silpa-Anan wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is not really debian topic, but since I got the idea from dpkg-scanlibs
> > thread from debian-devel two months ago.
> >
> > In vim, what is the setting to use tab for indent and space for alignment? I
> > couldn't figure it out since vim always try to use tab instead of space.
> >
> > e.g. when I use ts=4, sw=4 and has a line like this
> >
> > [tab][tab]printf ("Hello World \
> >
> > when I press enter vim will try to insert [tab] like
> >
> > [tab][tab][tab][tab]here I can start typing again\n");
> >

> > What is the setting to get rid of the third (and forth and ..) tab that is
> > not for indenting but for aligning?
>
> I believe you're referring to "cindent", when syntax=c is on...
>
> :set cindent=off ???

I want automatic indenting feature. No matter mode tried to set,
autouindent, smartindent, and cindent, vim always try to minimize usage of
space by filling in tabs according to ts.

I just wonder whether there is a way to fine tune this or not?

Chanop
--
| May Debian be with you ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ chanop@debian.org|