Power off Button

I have a question that hopefully someone can answer.  How can I get my power button to work?  It used to work.  I guess, here's the details.

Basically, when I run shutdown -h now, I should be able to hit the power button, computer off, no problem.  It doesn't work any more.

It stopped working when I tried to upgrade to Woody, failed, screwed up a few things, then reinstalled potato (numerous times, I was trying some stuff out).  It works find under Windows 98 when I boot into it (shiver) but it no longer works under linux.  It gets as far as "Shut power off".   I believe those are the words, basically telling me that it's alright to power off my computer.

I can't figure out what I did different between installs.  Or did I screw something up?  Now I have to hit the reset button and power off during the bios check.  Oh, and my tinkerings I mentioned before involved X, not shutdown, so I doubt it's related.

One more question... before I upgrade to woody again, I figure this time it would be nice to have a back up.  Would a simple tar and gzip of my whole file structure (/, /root, /usr, etc, etc) be enough?  If I bunged some stuff up and wanted to go back quickly, would a gzip -d and a tar xvf be enough to restore my system back to the way it was?  Or would there be something more missing? (BTW, I'm not intending to tar up /proc, /tmp, /dev and the such).

Thanks for you help!

--
  Patrick Mauro
  pmauro@engr.uvic.ca