SMTP transaction error

I'm afraid I'm doing all this wrong, but please excuse me.
I started a thread - Fetchmail segfaults - yesterday, but I
don't know how to get back into it.

My problem is that fetchmail won't deliver.

Thanks, Henrique, for pointing out the general flakiness of
fetchmail, but I never had a problem with it myself over the
past year or so and since I re-installed my system it hasn't
fetched me a thing.

Thanks, Karsten, for the idea of malformed headers causing it,
but the malfunctioning is just too consistent for that.

I'm sure I've got some simple thing - as likely as not in another
program such as exim - badly configured, and I'm sure someone
out there can guess what it might be.

Perhaps the following extract from fetchmail's output is more
indicative of the problem - this time it didn't segfault but went
on to query other servers on the .fetchmailrc list:

4 messages for davidj at pop3.web.de (9315 octets).
fetchmail: POP3> RETR 1
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Nachricht folgt/message follows
reading message 1 of 4 (2238 octets)
fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed: Connection refused
fetchmail: POP3> QUIT
fetchmail: POP3< Sebastiaan wrote:
fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from pop3.web.de
fetchmail: Query status=10
fetchmail: 4.6.4 querying pop.mail.yahoo.com... ... ...

Come on, you people.  I'm sure someone can see what's wrong!  And
you don't want me telling everyone I have to use Outlook Express
to collect my mail, do you :)

And, incidentally, how do I reply to this list - with mutt - so
that I can thank you all?

Thanks in advance,

David