Re: recompiling the kernel

* Ted Gervais <ve1drg@fox.nstn.ca> [010404 11:06]:

> I want to make some changes to my kernel in my newly installed debian system
> and am used to going to the directory where the kernel source is located and
> typing 'make menuconfig'.  It seems that Debian does things differently.

u can do the same thing in debian.  i usually download the kernel
source from kernel.org, unpack it, run make menuconfig, configure like
normal.  the only diff is debian comes with a nice tool to package your
kernel into a deb.  i think it's called kernel-package.  after i make
menuconfig, i run make-kpkg clean, make-kpkg --revision=custom_version
kernel_image.  it compiles the kernel and any modules i have selected.
it puts everything in a deb that u can install using dpkg -i.  this will
install your bzImage in /boot, change the /vmlinuz to point to the new
image, copy new system.map to /boot, copy new modules to /lib/modules.
it even offers to run lilo for u.  overall, a very nice tool.

cheers,
vinh