Re: WARNING: ReiserFS (and request for help!)

on Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 10:48:57PM +0100, Matthew Sackman (matthew@sackman.co.uk) wrote:
> Hay all.
>
> A few nights ago, I left my machine on over night whilst
> ripping some cds. The file names were rather long (>20).
> In the morning all was fine until I rebooted at which point
> the / partition refused to mount and the entire system
> became unusable.
>
> The fault was ReiserFS: I seems that BugTraq amoungst others
> have found faults with reiserfs in its handling of files under
> certain conditions. This is the second time in 2 months that
> reiserfs has caused me to do a reinstallation, and after this
> one, I'm now starting to see kernel oops' elsewhere.

What kernel?

I've heard ReiserFS support under 2.4 is spotty, but 2.2.18+ is
reasonably solid.

I've been running reiserfs under my laptop (2.2.18) for the past three
months, no problems, several hard shutdowns with full recovery.

Have you checked with the ReiserFS project itself and/or Hans Reiser?