Re: fortune: "fortune: bad juju in is_existant: Permission denied"

On 31 Mar 2001 12:24:02 -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> Mario Vukelic wrote:
> > I can't run fortune anymore:
(...)

> Well according to the source this means that a stat() of some file did
> not return true, and the errno was not ENOENT or ENOTDIR. stat(2) lists
> some other possible error codes including ELOOP, EFAULT, EACCES, ENOMEM,
> and ENAMETOOLONG. I'm betting it's EACCES -- some sort of local
> permissions problem on your system.
>
> Stracing fortune and looking for the return code of the stat() call would
> probably pinpoint your particular problem.

Sigh, you were right about EACCES, and it seems I have a filesystem
inconsisteny in my (reiserfs) /usr
I conclude this from this output I get even when I'm root (but please
correct me if I'm wrong):

sonic:~# ls /usr/share/games/fortunes/
ls: /usr/share/games/fortunes/miscellaneous.dat: Permission denied
ls: /usr/share/games/fortunes/men-women: Permission denied
art            definitions.dat  fortunes       law.dat          medicine
art.dat        drugs            fortunes.dat   linuxcookie      medicine.dat
ascii-art      drugs.dat        goedel         linuxcookie.dat  men-women.dat
ascii-art.dat  education        goedel.dat     literature       miscellaneous
computers      education.dat    humorists      literature.dat   riddles
computers.dat  ethnic           humorists.dat  love             riddles.dat
cookie         ethnic.dat       kids           love.dat
cookie.dat     food             kids.dat       magic
definitions    food.dat         law            magic.dat
sonic:~#

Also, reiserfsck -x (on umounted /usr) segfaults with a rather cryptic error message about some unexpected filesystem-internal value

Well, seems I need to learn something about reiserfs and do a reiserfsck --rebuild-tree (shiver :)

Thanks and kind regards, M.

--

I did not vote for the Austrian government