RE: can't use cron

If you're trying to add the line as given:

0 1 * * 5  root  /root/update

remove the word root after the number 5.  This field is for a command, not a
user.  You might also want to clean it up so that any test output is handled
correctly, such as:

0 1 * * 5 /root/update  > /dev/null 2>&1  # Some comment for documentation

-mk