unix sysadmin

There are several ways ( if you are motivated )

UNIX
Get the solaris 8 unix fundamental at
http://docs.sun.com
and download ( with autorisation code ) X86 solaris 8 at
http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/binaries/

LINUX
Get a linux distr on a local ftp server
If you haven't used linux before start with mandrake ( I guess you are
using
linux for a while now because you are subscribed to this mailing list
:))
If you think you can manage a distr like debian or slackware, go for it.

by the way, you can find all linux docs, howto's etc on
http://www.linuxdoc.org

good luck.

greets,
Kim

On Tuesday 03 April 2001 09:23, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
> Are you wanting to Learn UNIX or Linux, or both?
>
> There's no easy way to pick up UNIX/Linux skills overnight, but
> you might want to sign up for a beginning UNIX class with a local
> college. I don't know about where you're at, but the local community
> college where I'm at has two UNIX classes that are probably good
> for beginners.
>
> Setting up your own Linux box using Debian or Slackware is a good
> start, and if you're looking for a well-rounded experience, try
> some of the *BSDs. Linux and *BSD skills will translate well to
> other UNIX-type OSes, but each has its own little quirks.
>
> You might see about getting a job with an ISP or college as a junior
> admin, that might be a good learning environment.
>
> As far as books are concerned...
>
> "Running Linux" Matt Welsh
> "Linux: Installation, Configuration and Use" Michael Kofler
>
> Are both great general Linux starter guides.
>
> I'm not really aware of any good online classes, but if you run
> across some, be sure to post them to the list.
>
> Take care,
>
> Zonker
>
> On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Anthony @ PencilFight Design wrote:
> > Hello all,
> > I am looking into becoming a Unix System Administrator. I know a few
that
> > all learned basically "on the job". I'm wondering if there is any
one who
> > knows of a good way to start. Online classes?  I've heard of the Red
Book