tty5 respawning too fast - disabled

lately i have been having a problem where the console reports "INIT: ID5 is respawing to often and will be disabled for 5 minutes"
ID5 i figured out is tty5, because I cannot access it when this happens (at first I thoguht it meant PID 5, which was kswapd).
I remember reading that certain processes are respawned by init when they get killed, and your terminals (tty's) are one such process
but what could be killing it like that and causing it to respawn?