Re: Problems mounting floppies and cdroms.

> Command [as root] "mount /dev/fd0 /floppy" gets
> response "mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block
> device".

I get this error when I forgot to insert a floppy. This won't help you much I guess.
If you have a line like this in /etc/fstab:
/dev/fd0 /floppy auto defaults,user,noauto 0 0 you can just type: mount /floppy (without specifying the device) because it looks up that line and knows what device it is. If you did not compile a new kernel this should always work. Or maybe your floppy is not on /dev/fd0 but fd1? Or it's not properly connected? Does it work with other operating systems if you have any?

> And the command "mount /dev/cdrom /cdrom" gets
> response "/dev/cdrom: Input/output error
> mount: block device /dev/cdrom is write-protected,
> mounting read-only /dev/cdrom: Input/output error
> mount: you must specify the filesystem type".

Check if you have a line like:
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noauto 0 0 in /etc/fstab. The 'ro' is important for mount to know that the devive is read only. But this is not fatal and is probably caused by something else.
I got the error: mount: you must specify the filesystem type
when I had compiled a new kernel with msdos selected as a module and wanted to mount a floppy. I probably had to put something in /etc/modules for the module to be loaded. But at the time I found it easier to compile the kernel again with msdos support=yes (compiled directly in the kernel).

Maybe all this does not help you. Perhaps someone else can help?