Re: newbie-esque: how to cut & paste?

On Sat, Mar 31, 2001 at 12:05:25PM -0800, Jim Richardson wrote:
> > Wait til you type 'shutdown -h now' on the workstation in front of you
> > and nothing happens, then from the other room (where all the servers
> > are...) you hear, "Hey!  What the %$%#@?!"
> >
> Or do the same thing by hitting the up arrow key one time too many
> followed by return...
> Anyone know how to make bash history *not* keep certain commands?  :)

If you edit a command in your history and then execute a different
one, the edited command remains in your history.  For example, the
previous command from my history (although it puts it in my kill ring,
but that's not so dangerous.

You can also use ^r to search for something specific; I use this if
I'm going back more than few commands.  Read the history section of
the bash man page for more fun tricks.

Hi!  I'm Larry.  This is my brother Bob, and this is my other brother
Jimbo.  We thought you might like to know the names of your assailants.